Upgrades urged to attract businesses

By Carolyn Reid

 

FALMOUTH — Pendleton County Economic and Tourism Development Director Tami Vater updated the county Fiscal Court on Thursday of the need and the possibilities of making the Industrial Park and other areas in the county more marketable.

She urged the county to make more sites build-ready, site-ready, and proposed that court spend resources to level sites with a concrete or even a dirt pad of sufficient space to make the area inviting.

She talked about the Hammer Strength building that will be abandoned shortly, saying the building would not be suitable to all industries due to its size and height.

She encouraged the court to look beyond that building as they encourage businesses to come to the county.

She also reminded magistrates of the federal funding that is ready through grants, and she encouraged them to be more aggressive toward those grants that were tailored with counties like Pendleton in mind.

She updated the court regarding the Tourism Commission, saying the group had met twice and  they were targeting marketing to new areas across the state as well as in Indiana in hopes of bringing new tourists into the area. With that in mind, she said the website, Pendletonevents.com, had been updated with a tourism page and economic development site.

Hammer’s closing has brought concerns for the employees, and she said they would be getting benefits and job opportunities.

Five businesses and three campuses of the Kentucky Community and Technical College system were available to work with those employees.

Read the rest of this story and other great articles in this week’s Falmouth Outlook, in print or e-edition for $1.00

Business, continues on Page 2