August 6, 2024
25 Years Ago - August 10, 1999
Despite Sunday’s rainfall, Pendleton County residents are still under a mandatory water alert, county Emergency Management Director Craig Peoples said.
Gauges indicated Monday morning that Falmouth received rainfall Sunday of around an inch and a half, and the city of Butler an inch.
Drought conditions have caused the stream flow in the Main Licking and South Licking rivers to drop to an extremely low level.
“Normally, the water level on the intermediate intake pipe ... runs six inches over the top of the 10-inch line for a dry late August or September,” Falmouth Water and Waste Water Supervisor Todd Ramsey said. “The intake line hasn’t been completely submerged since the first of May.”
Residents are asked to continue to conserve water.
* * *
The Pendleton County Youth Football Boosters are holding bingo 7 p.m. every Thursday and Saturday night in the old Moreland building on the corner of Main and Shelby streets in Falmouth.
Prizes go up to $1,000.
Proceeds help fund the Youth Football program.
50 Years Ago - August 9, 1974
Two days have been set aside at Pendleton County High School for students to purchase books for the coming school year.
To avoid delays at the beginning of school, all students are urged to buy their books in advance.
Freshman and sophomores are scheduled for Aug. 21 and juniors and seniors on Aug. 22, between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. both days.
* * *
The U.S. House of Representatives earlier this year had approved $200,000 for the Falmouth Dam in Pendleton and surrounding counties, but the Senate Appropriations Committee last week eliminated the funds.
However, source in the office of Sen. Walter “Dee” Huddleston, D-Kentucky, said the House version probably would prevail in conference committee and the dam would be funded.
Huddleston favors continued planning for the Falmouth Dam, according to a news story from Washington.
* * *
The Pendleton County Sportsman’s Club will give a summer dance from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Aug. 10 at its clubhouse near Butler.
Buckwheat Group of Lexington, a modern and pop dance music band, will play here for the first time.
Admission is $10 a couple.
75 Years Ago - August 12, 1949
Smoke has cleared from the Democratic primary held Saturday, with most of the incumbents being renominated to office. Robert A. Thompson was nominated for sheriff, and John S. Juet, although defeated in the district for the bid for Senate, received a handsome majority in Pendleton County.
James K. Taylor, incumbent, was renominated for coroner, Charles E. Ashcraft was renominated for county court clerk.
* * *
Top veal calves brought $27.80 per 100 pounds on the Falmouth stock market Thursday, which is believed to be a record in Kentucky for the week.
There were about 300 head on the market and there was a good crowd for the sale.
* * *
C. Harold Ewing, local attorney, resigned his position as state director of probation and parole, effective Aug. 12, to return to his private law practice.
Ewing has been in charge of all probation and parole work in the state since Jan. 12, when he assumed the position on a temporary basis.
100 Years Ago - August 8, 1924
A telephone message from Butler was received by Marshal Perrin Sunday afternoon that two girls had been kidnapped on the road near Grant’s Lick and carried away in a Reo bus by two men, one of them a soldier in the uniform of the United States Army.
Sheriff Peoples, together with Deputy Sheriff Charles Ravenscraft and Marshal J.O. Perrin, of Falmouth, started immediately in the direction of Grant’s Lick to apprehend the supposed kidnappers, who were headed this way.
They met the bus on the Butler pike near the home of John Chapman, about eight miles from Falmouth. A posse of men armed with shotguns had followed the men from Grant’s Lick and overtaken them at that point on the road.
The men told the officers that several girls from the Grant’s Lick vicinity were walking along the road when the bus came by. The girls had been bathing and were returning to their homes.
When the girls came alongside the bus, the driver stopped and the man in uniform engaged them in conversation. He got out of the bus, and the girls, becoming frightened, ran to their homes.
Two of them reported to their families that they had been insulted by the soldier.
A posse of seven men was quickly formed, and armed with guns, started in pursuit of the bus, which was in transit from Detroit to Lexington.
When the officers met the party, the men in the bus and the members of the party were arguing. According to the officers, the father of girls demanded $100 of the soldier or he would be taken to Alexandria by the posse and placed in jail.
The soldier told the men that he did not have any money to give them. The bus driver had $18 in his pocket, and he gave this to the men of the posse. Dividing it among themselves, they returned to Grant’s Lick.
The soldier denied insulting the girls.
The father later said he’d been told one of his daughters had been kidnapped and was relieved to find out she was not on the bus. He said he was not part of the demand for money.