November 04, 2025
25 Years Ago - November 7, 2000
Pendleton County Homemakers celebrated their 50th anniversary Nov. 5 with an open house at the Pendleton County Extension building.
Helen Strasser, chairwoman of the anniversary planning committee, welcomed the full house to the anniversary program.
State Sen. Katie Stine and state Rep. Tom McKee presented citations from the Kentucky Senate and House of Representatives.
Starting with one leader in November 1950, the Homemakers program spread throughout the county, forming many clubs with a strong and dedicated membership.
* * *
The Pendleton Panthers football team was runner-up in the Gridiron Classic II held Nov. 4. The Panthers lost to the Bath County Wildcats 8-6 in the final minutes of the fourth quarter.
The second annual Gridiron Classic II tournament was played at Southern Elementary School.
The first game featured the third- and fourth-grade Wildcats against the Panthers.
The Panthers Defensive Player trophy went to Brent Lorenz, and the Offensive Player trophy went to Ryan Stegman.
In the second game, the fifth- and sixth-grade Bath County Wildcats tackled the Pendleton County Bobcats 12-0. Jake Remley and Brad Smith were the best offensive and defensive Bobcats.
In the final game, the seventh- and eighth-grade Pendleton County Panthers beat the Bracken County Polar Bears 20-0, led by Charles Bruener on offense and Matthew Wardlow on defense.
50 Years Ago - November 7, 1975
Pendleton County voters went to the polls Nov. 4 and highly favored all Democrat candidates.
Gov. Julian Carroll carried the county by a 857 vote majority over his Republican challenger, Robert E. Gable. Carroll collected 77% of the votes cast in Pendleton.
* * *
Mike Sexton and Marc Toll will represent Pendleton County High School in the state cross country meeting Nov. 8 in Lexington.
Sexton placed first against 24 other runners in the regional meet last week in Mason County.
* * *
One break-in and one attempted break-in were reported by private homes in Pendleton County this week. Nothing was obtained and Sheriff Harold Wright and Deputy Lloyd Spaulding are now on the lookout for those responsible.
Spaulding was called at 8:55 a.m. Nov. 1 to the home of Jeanne Frazer, South Main Street, Falmouth, where thieves attempted to force entry into her beauty shop.
Spaulding was called Nov. 3 by Melvin Caldwell Sr. Highway 17, Butler, where entry was made into the kitchen by breaking glass in the door. Nothing was reported missing.
* * *
Tony’s Restaurant announced that had opened at 131 Shelby St., Falmouth, “featuring some of the finest American dishes at the most reasonable prices.”
The menu featured homemade soups, steaks, chicken, fish, plate lunches and sandwiches.
75 Years Ago - November 10, 1950
Falmouth, England, Councillor Albert Victor Baker’s visit to this Falmouth was climaxed Tuesday night with a dinner in the Falmouth High School banquet room. More than 140 of the city’s prominent citizens, city council, members of the Pendleton County Junior Chamber of Commerce and the Falmouth Rotary Club were present to greet the mayor, who has come to America from Falmouth, England.
Seated with the guest of honor were five English war brides and their husbands who reside in Pendleton County, and Rotary President Joseph Kearns and Chamber President Wayne Daugherty.
Baker is on a tour to visit every Falmouth in the United States.
* * *
Sheriff Jack Dickison and County Attorney W. Marvin Davis returned to Falmouth Monday from Speers Hospital, Dayton, where they obtained a sworn affidavit from Arther Belew, 29, that he had been wounded by Elmo Howard, about 50, who had every intention of killing him.
Both Belew and Howard reside on Ivor Road, Pendleton County. Police officers were told that the two had been together Sunday evening and that Belew was driving Howard home. Belew told the officers that Howard didn’t want him to go home, went into the house and got a pump shotgun, came back to the car, broke a window and fired the gun, which struck him just above the heart.
Howard contends that Belew shot himself accidentally.
100 Years Ago - November 6, 1925
The voters of Pendleton County have again expressed their wishes in regard to the men who shall guide the destinies of its government for the next four years.
The election held Tuesday was one of many surprises, both to Democrats and Republicans. Old traditions were overthrown and the county that once was regarded as safe for Democrats has shown a decided tendency toward independent thinking.
J.L. Bradford, Republican, of Falmouth, will be the next sheriff. He defeated Democratic opponent Charles Ravenscraft by a majority of 212 votes. Ravenscraft is the present deputy in the office of Sheriff C.H. Peoples.
M.S. Mills, Republican, upset the Democratic hopes in the county judge race, beating incumbent John B. Colvin by eight votes in unofficial results.
* * *
George Brannock of near Mount Vernon lost a valuable coming 2-year-old saddle-bred colt last week. The colt was found on the back end of the Brannock farm and Mr. Brannock thinks that it was killed by hunters. A number of farmers in the Mount Vernon section assert that hunting has been going on in the neighborhood although the hunting season does not open until Nov. 15. Many farmers in Pendleton County have posted their land to protect their property from hunters and trespassers.