|The Amish Cook 3-5-13|
By: Lovina Eicher
We are having some snowy days this week although there is not much of an accumulation. We have had quite a day already. Joe left for work around 3:30 a.m. I had turned off the light and was ready to go back to bed until 5 a.m. I heard an alarm go off in the basement so I went to go out and check it out and it was a carbon monoxide alarm. I could smell soot so I checked our coal stove but it looked okay. I figured that it might be the gas water heater and shut it off. I get worried more since the fire we had last year and decided to wake all eight children. I called 911 to ask what I should do. They said to get everyone out of the house and they would send someone to take a look. Everyone was still sleepy and it was difficult to find clothes and coats by flashlight. I didn’t want to turn on our gaslights just to be safe. Remembering the fire we had everyone was shook up a little more.
To read the rest of this article please subscribe or sign in