|Over 400 soil samples were processed and analyzed by the Pendleton County Extension Office in 2012!|
Lindie Huffman, Agriculture and Natural Resources
The Pendleton County Cooperative Extension Service is now offering 20 free soil samples per sampling category. The categories are as follows:
C: Commercial Horticulture
H: Home, Lawn, and Garden
A farm serial number must be provided for agriculture samples.
Each soil sample thereafter will cost the individual $5.00 per sample. The Extension office will cover shipping costs of the samples.
Why soil sample you may ask? Soil sampling is a quick, efficient, and cost effective best management practice that provides important information to make decisions concerning:
• How much lime to use in crop fields, lawns, vegetable or flower beds.
• How much fertilizer to use on lawns, vegetables, flowers, and shrubs.
• How to adjust the soil pH for optimum growth of acid-loving plants such as azaleas and rhododendrons.
• How to apply soil amendments and fertilizer to improve soil quality.
• Nutrients that are lacking or in excess in the soil.
• Amount of lead or other metals in the soil.
For more information regarding the soil sampling program or process, please contact the Pendleton County Extension Office at 859-654-3395.