KHSAA BOC makes a set of difficult decisions on restart of high school sports

"The pandemic means we cannot be perfect. There is no Solomon-like decision," said KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett.

KHSAA Sweet 16 is back on the schedule for March 29 through April 8 according to a 14-3 KHSAA Board of Control vote held today.

In addition, the board reaffirmed their decision from November by a 12-5 vote to start athletic contests on January 4, 2021. At that time, they had allowed winter sports to continue to practice but Governor Andy Beshear completely shut down winter sports.

The Board of Control also voted to allow practices to begin on Monday, December 14 as they prepare for the January 4 start date for games. Those games will have a strict attendance restriction to lessen any exposure to the virus.

"It would be tremendous foresight from this body," said Tackett about working with the Department of Public Health to work out an attendance number.

Tackett added that the issues does not come into play with the teams or even parents but rather when you make it a community event.

"I would have a hard time with any directive not allowing parents to see their kids play, but the general community will have to wait till later in the season," he said.

Board members pointed out that they have experienced handling attendance restrictions in an indoor sport with volleyball.

Greg Howard added, "Kids are safer on our campuses than anywhere else."

In regards to other sports, Tackett said "There will be a cheer and dance state championship. Period."

Archery and Esports were not specifically mentioned but Tackett did say with the actions taken today by the board, the other dominoes will begin to fall.

Bowling's fate is still up in the air as Governor Andy Beshear's executive order on bars and restaurants also affected bowling alleys. Till that directive is handled, they are not sure what will be the availability of the bowling alleys will be to host high school matches. Most alleys make their revenue off the bar and restaurant in the alley rather than the bowling itself. With them closed many bowling alleys are not open.

At the start of the meeting, KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett said, "This board has fought for student opportunities this year. We have put student needs first and what adults want second."

The vote was against the recommendation from the KHSAA staff that had chosen dates later in the spring. That option was closely defeated 9-8.

"I am not going to beat around the bush. The best opportunity for success is to have the Sweet 16 is the last of April and beginning of May," recommended Tackett who had provided financial information concerning playoffs to the board earlier in the meeting.

The board members were focused on limiting any overlap with spring sports that had seen their season completely canceled in the spring of 2020 and rejected the recommended dates of April 24 through May 9.

"It is not conceivable to have our traditional state tournament format of two weeks," said Tackett as he walked the board through a presentation on calendar issues that included spring break dates for public schools.

Towards the beginning of the meeting, Tackett shared a financial summary to the board on the status of the KHSAA. He indicated that approximately $1.1 million loss of revenue from loss of playoffs last year. Approximately 60 percent of the revenue KHSAA receives is from playoffs at the state level. District and region playoff funds stay with the local schools. Neighboring states take those funds from the district and region while Kentucky allows local schools to use that funds.

Tackett shared with the board a letter from Republican leadership of the Kentucky General Assembly that supported the expected proposal to begin athletic practices on December 14 and resume competition on January 4.

"Not a single dollar from Kentucky tax funds go to KHSAA," Tackett pointed out in emphasizing that KHSAA runs self-sufficiently without relying on taxes from the General Assembly.

It said, "Just as we have consistently urged the Governor to follow the advice of Dr. Anthony Fauci, infectious disease adviser to the President and Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, to allow students to return to in-person instruction for their education, mental health, and social needs, we also urge you to allow high school sports to resume now for the same reasons. Despite the challenges of the ongoing pandemic we believe that experience has shown that, when proper precautions are taken, high school athletics can be conducted safely."

It ended by saying they are willing to provide any support they can to "ensure a safe and successful remainder oir the 2020-21 school year."