January 6, 2026
25 Years Ago - January 9, 2001
A Pendleton County school bus led the Jan. 3 funeral procession from Woodheads Funeral Home in Falmouth. Ann Calvert, a former Pendleton County Schools bus driver for 26 years, was on her final trip to her resting place in the Morgan Cemetery.
Mrs. Calvert, 61, of Morgan died on Dec. 30 after an extended illness.
“While we were at the funeral home, it was like being back on the school bus,” said her youngest daughter, Julia Calvert (Darren) Smith. “There were so many kids that came to see Mom that rode her bus.”
Her bus number was 95.
“She loved driving the school bus. It about broke her heart when she had to retire in 1993, but health problems caused her to retire,” Smith said.
Fellow driver and now assistant director of transportation at the school district Sue Wells said, “She was a fun-loving lady who would tell you like it was. She could hand that big old bus and the kids on it.”
Bus 95 is still in operation, Wells said.
* * *
Mike Redden was officially sworn in by Circuit Court Judge Robert McGinnis on Dec. 31 as the new Pendleton County Circuit Clerk.
Redden was elected in November.
50 Years Ago - January 9, 1976
Dr. Abiur Rehman will begin practice this weekend in Falmouth. He will provide hospital emergency coverage from Friday evening until Sunday evening.
He will have office hours in Dr. McKinney’s office from 10 a.m. to noon and from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturday.
Dr. Rehmann will stay in the hospital Friday and Saturday nights. He works during thew eek in a clinic under the Department of Health for the City of Cincinnati.
He is a native of Pakistan, full accredited to practice medicine in Kentucky or anywhere in the United States, and is a doctor of internal medicine.
* * *
Mayor Max Goldberg is taking Falmouth City Council to Beverly Hills Supper Club Wednesday night for dinner. Each councilman is going “dutch treat.”
Goldberg says that the council has never had dinner together and wanted to start the new year off right by them getting together over food.
Outlook Editor Warren Shonert opined that it was “a good idea for harmony and mutual understanding among all. City Council has a tough job to do today and can only help their city by pulling together.”
* * *
Two Pendleton County farmers have reported missing or stolen cattle.
On Dec. 30, Kenneth Cummins, Route 2, Dry Ridge, reported that a calf was missing from his farm on Lemmon-Northcut Road. He said the Holstein, weighing about 650 pounds, estimated value $102.50, had been missing since Nov. 12.
On Jan.3, Floyd Wills reported cattle stolen from his farm on Kentucky 1054. Taken were on bull and one steer, approximately 800 pounds each. They have been missing since Nov. 10.
75 Years Ago - January 12, 1951
The Pendleton County Board of Education presented its first report of the school year 1950-51.
The enrollment by grades is first, 135; second, 138; third, 152; fourth, 124; fifth, 148; sixth, 136; seventh, 151; eighth, 120; ninth, 93; tenth, 68; eleventh, 54; twelfth, 65, for a total of 1,104 elementary and 280 high school. The average per pupil teacher load is 26 for the county.
The first three months of the school term show that the 23 buses have cost $13,136.60. They have traveled 68,902 miles and transported 73,875 children at an average per mile cost of 19 cents.
The cafeterias have served 45,958 meals, of which 3,424 have been free. The total cost of the whole cafeteria program has been $12,515.52, which is 27 cents per meal served.
Total general fund expenses to date are $101,296.36.
* * *
Pendleton Countians woke up Sunday morning and found the ground covered with snow. That night, the temperature dropped to zero.
Both Falmouth and Pendleton County schools were operating as usual Monday, with attendance reported as good.
Several cars reportedly have been stalled at various times during the snow on Bethel Hill on U.S. 27. One local wrecker was rescuing them and bringing them to the top of the hill at $1 a lift.
100 Years Ago - January 8, 1926
Pendleton County is temporarily without a county judge as the result of John B. Colvin’s refusal Monday to surrender the key and books to his successor, Judge M.S. Mills.
Armed with a certificate of election and his credentials signed by the governor and secretary of state of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Judge Mills came down bright and early Monday morning to assume his duties.
But Colvin opened court as usual and read the docket and transacted the usual routine of business, with Judge Mills “sitting in” as a spectator.
Judge Colvin was defeated in the November election by Judge Mills by eight votes. A lawsuit was filed by attorneys for Judge Colvin, contesting the election.
* * *
Before the ink was dry on the signature to the oath that made him sheriff of Pendleton County Monday, J.L. Bradford was headed for the country on the stern business of enforcing the law.
It was reported at the sheriff’s office Monday that a still was in operation near the home of William Workman on Lightfoot’s Fork. Sheriff Bradford, in company with former deputy Charles Ravenscraft and J.O. Perrin, Falmouth police chief, went to the Workman farm.
In a hollow about a quarter of a mile from the house, the still was found with a batch of mash cooking. Four men gathered about the still made a break for the bushes. Two of the men, Henry Hicks and William Workman, were caught.